f you’re read our why your CV isn’t getting viewed post, you’ll know that your CV’s partner in crime, and penultimate BFF is a covering letter. They work together to reach out to a recruiter and show them what you’re made of. By dictionary definition, a cover letter is a document sent with, and explaining the contents of, another document or a parcel of goods. In our case, a job cover letter is paired with your CV and acts as an introductory to it.
It’s important to note that a cover letter is a supplement to your CV, not a replacement. Meaning, you don’t just repeat whatever has been mentioned. It can be overwhelming to format the letter if you’re not a natural writer (we learnt this the hard way!) but we think we’ve now nailed the recipe…
Without further ado, our tried and tested format to craft the perfect cover letter:
1. Header - Input contact information
2. Greeting the recruiter/hiring manager
3. Opening paragraph - Grab the reader’s attention with 2-3 of your top achievements
4. Second paragraph - Explain why you’re the perfect candidate for the job
5. Third paragraph - Explain why you’re a good match for the company
6. Formal closing
It’s as simple as that! And, of course, make sure the document is easily read, in the format of a letter and paired with a simple colour scheme, and you’re good to go!